Sorting through the Holy Scriptures in order to understand and live our God’s spoken Word.
Ask the Holy Spirit to show you and teach you as you dive into His Word. (Ephesians 1:16-23)
Read the passage of scripture once before marking anything to familiarize yourself with the text.
Read out loud several times.
Read in more than one translations.
O: Observation & Comprehension “What does it say?”
- Annotate the passage of scriptures: Mark it up!!Repeated words, phrases or ideas
- Characteristics of God
- Define and mark unknown words
- Define and mark familiar words that catch your attention.
- Key transition words (if/then, therefore, but…) and draw an arrow to connect a concluding thought to its beginning argument.
- Confusing ideas
- Answer: WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW, WHY questions as you dissect and unpack the scripture.
R: Research & Interpretation “What does it mean?”
- Consult different translations, again 🙂
- Look up related cross references
- Ask yourself: “What would the original audience have thought?”
T: Think & Reflect: “How should it change me?”
- God-Centered Perspective
- What does this passage teach me about God?
- How does this aspect of God’s character change my view of self?
- What should I do in response?
S: Say it out loud: pray it back to God.
- Write out a prayer using the scripture you studied.
- Pray the verse and the prayer you just wrote back to God.
Check out this YouTube video for a visual example.